Haven't felt much like posting lately. When I am in the mood I don't have the time or means (at work, no computer access), and when I do have the time or means I'm not in the mood. Such is life. :)
We had the chance to make a trip up to WA to see family. It was a good trip, but every time I'm reminded of how much more involved things are when you have kids! It's just not so easy. Still worth it, of course, but definitely not as easy.
We went up on a Tuesday night after I got off, and got in just after midnight Wednesday morn. Calen was stellar on the trip up, and didn't cry much, if at all (my memory does not serve me well). The plan was for my mom and sister and I to attend the "Sewing and Stitchery Expo" down at the Puyallup fairgrounds on Friday for a little shopping and information gathering. On Thursday Mark surprised me when our simple coffee run turned out to be a full-fledged "date". He had (sneakily) planned in advance and booked an overnight stay down in Tukwila (I did wonder why he picked that particular Starbucks when we probably passed 43 that were closer!). He even brought extra food for Calen, who, as you guessed it, spent his first night away from Mommy and Daddy! Handled it like a champ as it turned out, sleeping 11 hrs for Nanna and Grandpa. It was nice to be kid-free for a few hours, much as I love the stinker. We bummed around the mall a little, walked from the hotel to dinner at Chipotle (that was tasty - I'd never been), and went to a movie. A good time was had by all. :)
The next morning Mark headed back to my parents to take care of Calen while my mom and sister picked me up for our day at the fairgrounds.
But first we had to find it.
Yes, even with printed directions and a GPS we still ended up in the wrong place. It was fairly entertaining to hear my sister reading the directions off the GPS screen when it said "Arriving at destination on left" as we drove by an empty overgrown meadow. :) Yes, apparently the Expo flyer had listed an address that was not actually the event location address, but their mailing address. Oops. Even the best GPS can't overcome that.
So after we found the fairgrounds we proceeded to spend the next 7 hours trying our best to make my feet hurt. We did a great job too.
Just kidding. I did find the couple of things I was looking for (a cute woven print fabric for a skirt for me, some 100% wool felt for some soft shoes for Calen) and a couple things I needed but just didn't know it yet (a cute knit print fabric for a dress for me, some random remnants for my slowly increasing quilt stash (I bought four pieces at the Expo, now I have six total :)), a pattern for a "Go green Market Bag" and some Eucalan wool wash for Calen's soakers). I also found out that sewing machines cost a lot. Actually I already knew that but I was hoping I would be encouraged by finding some decent starter machines that weren't that bad.
But there may be some hope on the that point. We found an old (read that better quality) Pfaff on Craigslist that is very near us (under 15 miles) and we're hoping to take a look at it. From all we could find online everyone who has this machine absolutely loves it (and most of them have had it since they bought it new 30 - some years ago!).
We'll see.
No pictures, the camera didn't come out during our trip. :(
No comments:
Post a Comment