4.04.2010

Most recent project

My sister has been asking me to put these pictures up for a while. This skirt was a little ambitious (for me, that is). I didn't have a pattern, or even something to copy. I just had an idea and decided to go for it. I did use a skirt I already own to provide me with some rough dimensions. Overall I'm pleased with it. Made a few minor mistakes (the kind you don't have to fix), but will likely use the pattern again. Yes - I actually made a PATTERN! Normally if I was trying something like this I would just wing it and cut it out. Then if it turned out I'd be annoyed because I couldn't replicate it. This time I decided to think ahead. Yay for me.

The skirt - I bought the fabric at a little store in Eugene. It's called "Sateen Damask" from Urban Couture by basicgrey for Moda. 100% quilters cotton. The skirt is a basic 6-panel A-line with a curved top yoke and side invisible zipper. There are no pleats or gathers in the panels. I used a coral nylon net for the ruffle on the bottom, and put a gathered section between the center and left front panels to add interest (close-up picture below). I didn't use any interfacing as I didn't want the extra structure in the yoke. I used a turned seam for the hem, and made the back panels curve slightly longer then the front.


A better view of the bottom edge with the gathered section. This is a truer picture of the fabric color then the first picture.


When I made this gathered part I didn't really know what to do. I ended up cutting a strip about 8"x30" and gathering it. Then, still not really sure what to do, I cut it in thirds and stacked it. Looking back I probably shouldn't have done that - I ended up with a little more stiffness then I wanted. You can see my gathering stitches on the tulle on the back side of the skirt. I was going to take it out, but started tearing the tulle when I tried. !!! Never mind.


My little fabric flower embellishment. Didn't really turn out like I was trying for. But I still used it.


I ended up using a deep brown kona cotton for the lining. I couldn't find anything remotely close to the colors I was looking for (yay for tiny Roseburg fabric selection), so I went for something entirely different. It worked out for the best, I think. I don't worry at all about needing a slip!



1 comment:

  1. That's really cute, amy! :) Hope you guys had a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete